.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

 

Into the litterbox: a catted tale

Maybe the fact that I like string so much is related to the fact that I like to string together random thoughts.

Consider the word "catted," which--when I use it--means "possessed by a cat." That's if you're a materialist. (Most members of my species are.) But if you're an idealist, like amanuensis, to be catted means "to be obsessed by a cat."

When used by other humans, "catted" can have a variety of meanings, not all of them so benign.


The Catted Anarchist” is one of the Fantastic Fables by Ambrose Bierce.

An Anarchist Orator who had been struck in the face with a Dead Cat by some Respector of Law to him unknown, had the Dead Cat arrested and taken before a Magistrate.

"Why do you appeal to the law?" said the Magistrate - "You who go in for the abolition of law."

"That," replied the Anarchist, who was not without a certain hardness of head, "that is none of your business; I am not bound to be consistent. You sit here to do justice between me and this Dead Cat."

"Very well," said the Magistrate, putting on the black cap and a solemn look; "as the accused makes no defence, and is undoubtedly guilty, I sentence her to be eaten by the public executioner; and as that position happens to be vacant, I appoint you to it, without bonds."

One of the most delighted spectators at the execution was the anonymous Respector of Law who had flung the condemned.

While there’s a certain sense of justice in the judge’s sentence, this fable made me want to cat:
2. Eject the contents of the stomach through the mouth


tags:

|



<< Home

3 Old Comments:

The Devil's Dictionary is a huge favorite of mine. I lost the old tattered copy I had some time back. I really should look into getting another one. Online books are great but.....a hard copy still rules.

By Blogger Gigolo Kitty, at 11:14 AM  

I know what you mean about real books. I feel comforted being surrounded by the things. You can't rub up against an electronic book and make it your own.

By Blogger Aloysius, at 11:33 AM  

Bienvenidos al 100th Carnival de los Gatos! We had over 50 submissions. Enjoy all the links along with some Feline Facts and early Carnival Flashbacks at Bloggin' Outloud.

By Blogger Lyn, at 10:13 PM  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?