.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, May 05, 2006

 

Blame it on "les chats sauvages"


Remember that cardinal's nest I discovered last week?

For days, I've been amusing myself by watching the two adult birds flying back and forth to the nest. But today, they're both gone, and this is what the next looks like.

It wasn't me! Honest, there's no way I could get up there. I suspect the raccoon.

Despite the fact that raccoons make a noise that sounds like a purr, and the fact that French Canadians refer to raccoons as "les chats sauvages," they are no relatives of mine. For one thing, raccoons are omnivores: they eat anything, including bird eggs and baby birds. That raccoon must have reached down from the roof and snatched the cardinal's eggs right out of her nest. Poor cardinal!

I'm going out in the garden now to supervise amanuensis while she weeds her flower beds. I'll bet she wishes that raccoons would eat dandelions.

Tags:

|



<< Home

2 Old Comments:

Oh, poor birdies. That's awful. Those racoons really are savage, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them cats. They don't deserve that title!

By Blogger PrincessMia, at 4:40 PM  

Thanks, Laurence. My picture is at http://carnival.isfullofcrap.com/oldcrap/2006/05/aloysius.html

And, yes, lawn furniture does make a good throne.

By Blogger Aloysius, at 5:22 PM  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?