.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, March 15, 2007

 

Lord of the Pounce











I was not named Aloysius Pangur Ban for nothing. Pangur Ban, the famous poem about a scholar and his cat, describes me to a T. At least one day a year, I celebrate my Irish heritage. This Saint Patrick's Day, I'm going to lay around all day, exposing my furry tummy, while listening to some good old-time Irish music.



Here's one tune I recently discovered: Lord of the Pounce, a variation on the Lord of the Dance. A bard named Marc Gunn wrote the lyrics:

I pounced in the morning when the world was begun.
I pounced on the moon and the stars all for fun.
I leaped down from heaven, and I pounced on the earth.
When I pounced my first mouse, I had my birth.

Pounce, pounce, wherever you may be
I am lord of the pounce, said he.
I'll run under feet, wherever you may be.
And I'll leap on you in the pounce, said he.

And then he recorded them along with several other Irish cat songs; now you can buy the CD or download the song for free.

From Marc's blog:

Marc Gunn is an Irish and Scottish folk singer with a strange affinity for Celtic ballads, drinking songs and cats. He is the lead singer for the Brobdingnagian Bards, an internet music promoter, podcaster, poet, photographer and publisher of many, many things on and offline.

And just this week, Marc's band, the Brobdingnagian Bards, won an award:

AUSTIN, TX (March 15, 2007) - Indie Celtic music favorites the Brobdingnagian Bards were named Best "None of the Above" Band of 2006-07 at the prestigious Austin Music Awards held last night at the Austin Convention Center, kicking off the music portion of the international South By Southwest music conference.
Congratulations, Marc!

P.S. Check out Modulator's Friday Ark for more furry goodness. On Sunday, the Carnival of the Cats celebrates three years of kitty madness at Pet's Garden Blog.

Labels: , ,


|



<< Home

0 Old Comments:

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?