.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

 

Three annoying things on Tuesday

Since Tuesday is Aloysius' day to simply be a cat, he's turned the forum over to me so that I can vent. Here are three of the X things that annoy amanuensis:


1. Automated call from a credit card company offers me a lower interest rate on "all my cards."
To speak to a representative, press 9. To stop receiving these calls in the future, press 8.
I press 8.
Incorrect response. To speak to a representative, press 9. To stop receiving these calls in the future, press 8.
I press 8.
Incorrect response. To speak to a representative, press 9. To stop receiving these calls in the future, press 8.
I press 8
incorrect
8
incorrect

8888888888888888
Silence.

Ahh!

2. I open up the dishwasher and the bottom is crawling with ANTS! Yes, I said ants. Legions of tiny, crawly, little reddish-brown ants.

I wonder if I am the only person who has ever found ants in the dishwasher. I google "ants in dishwasher."
Amazingly, I get a pile of hits. Non-toxic remedies are recommended:

a. white vinegar
I throw half a gallon of white vinegar into the dishwasher and run a cycle.
Wednesday: The ants are gone.
Thursday: The ants come back: legions of tiny, crawly, little reddish-brown ants. I wash ants down the drain, clean the filter, and run the dishwasher.

b. Borax powder
Friday: I obtain Twenty Mule Team Borax at the local supermarket. throw a couple of cups of borax into the bottom of the dishwasher and wet it.
Saturday: Ants crawling over the borax. I wash ants down the drain, clean the filter, and run the dishwasher.

This calls for escalation. At the hardware store, I buy some Terro, an insecticide that is designed to be eaten by worker ants and carried back to the nest. Following directions, I squeeze some of the gooey liquid onto a little squares of cardboard and place them on the counter.

Sunday: ants in the dishwasher, no ants on the Terro.
I place more gooey-liquid smeared squares on the floor in front of the dishwasher.
Sunday night: lots of ants swarming over the Terro.

For the next three days, I pick up, bag, and dispose of the used cardboard squares and replace them with new ones.

Day 4: no ants in dishwasher. Some dead ants on the cardboard squares. No ants moving around. Ahhh!

3. A former member of my freelance writers' union complains that the union has a left-wing political agenda. Then he tells me how much he makes per day as a business consultant. Ahhh!

Labels:


|



<< Home

0 Old Comments:

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?