.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, September 19, 2009

 

Where have all the chipmunks gone?

Alas, I'm all alone on the patio. Where have all my chipmunks gone?

Earlier this summer, my backyard was full of the little rodents. I would chase them and chase them all the time--although I never caught one. Then, a couple of weeks ago, they all disappeared. My humans found a dead chipmunk on the grass, and they thought that I had done it in. But I didn't.

Yesterday, the next-door neighbor told my humans that she had called in an exterminator to rid her house of mice. Of course the exterminator put poison both inside and outside the house. That's when she said that she had found a dead chipmunk in the yard. The chipmunks must have all eaten the tasty poison, because they're gone.

I loved chasing my chipmunks. I wrote a poem about them--Timber Tiger, the slang name for chipmunks in parts of the Pacific Northwest. Even if I could have caught one, I never would have killed them all. I miss my Timber Tigers very much.

My timber tigers will be remembered on the Friday Ark, and in the Carnival of the Cats, hosted this week by House Panthers.

Labels:


|



<< Home

1 Old Comments:

Lovely neighbor.
Does she realize when you poison chipmunks and such. They eat the poison and then raptors eat them. Sadly we lose hundreds of hawks, falcons and eagles every year due to uneducated people putting poison out. Our cats, dogs and maybe kids could get into that awful poison. It's a terrible death. It dehydrates the victim from the inside out and it shuts their kidneys, liver and slowly all the organs down. So imagine how that must feel. Use a live trap and move them. Of course if they have young it's against the law to touch them or nursing moms. You would leave their young to starve to death if you remove the mom. C'mon people! Their tiny little furry munchkins! Leave them be. If you don't like them
In your house. Repair the entryways. Outside is where they belong and have the right to live. Yes, even if it's your yard. They don't read addresses or own property silly humans.

By Blogger Signsofautumn, at 8:35 PM  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?